Who doesn’t love pancakes for breakfast? I swear these are healthier and lower-in-fat than your standard pancakes and other sweet breakfast items. I’m super excited that Sprout Living has recently reformulated their line of EPIC Protein, and they sent a few samples for me to experiment with in the kitchen. Their Green Kingdom is packed with superfoods and greens including sacha inchi, chlorella, spirulina, kale, moringa and many more! One serving is 20g of raw, organic and gluten-free plant protein. I’ve been experimenting with protein-packed breakfast items besides smoothies such as protein oats and banana ice cream, and pancakes were just calling my name. If you’re gonna have pancakes, why not make them packed with great ingredients? Continue reading
As fun as it is to go out to brunch, sometimes it’s nice to just stay in your pajamas and have brunch at your own kitchen table. That’s what weekends are for, right? There’s just something about sitting at the table with your family that makes the food even better. If you’re going to make a home-cooked meal, why not make the most of it? I challenge you next weekend, to have brunch with your family or invite some friends over. And if you need something to make, these pancakes aren’t a bad choice! They’re also a double-win if it’s around St Paddy’s Day!
These pancakes end up coming out slightly green from the protein powder, but they taste so incredible you won’t even notice it! Sprout Living’s new line of proteins are great in smoothies, but I felt a little adventurous and decided to use them in a super easy breakfast recipe. No blender required, all you need is a mixing bowl, stovetop and pan but you still get a lot of the benefits that you would if you used this protein in a smoothie. Even if you have picky eaters in your house, they won’t even be able to tell that these contain a ton of superfoods in them!
I think we all know the magical moment when you pour the syrup on your pancakes and are just about to dig in. The best part of these nutritious pancakes aside from the flavor is that they’re super filling. That means you can sleep in and have these for a late breakfast and likely be full until dinner time.
Stay tuned for more Sprout Living recipes coming this week. In the meantime, check out Sprout Living’s Website and pick up some Epic Protein: Green Kingdom for yourself (they even have trial sizes available). Let me know in the comments below, what kinds of toppings would you put on your protein pancakes?
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 scoops Sprout Living EPIC Protein: Green Kingdom powder
- 3 Tbs baking powder
- 2 Tbs coconut sugar (or other vegan sugar)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 + 1 Tbs water
- maple syrup, vegan butter or fruit and nuts for toppings
- 1. To make a vegan buttermilk, pour and stir the apple cider vinegar into the pre-measured almond milk and let sit for a couple minutes. Add the flaxseeds and mix until you get a smooth consistency.
- 2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Incorporate the wet mixture into the dry, adding the water and mixing until a batter forms. Be careful not to overmix.
- 3. Place a non-stick pan over medium heat and/or use cooking spray. Pour the batter onto the pan to make pancakes that are roughly 5 inches in diameter. Once they start to form bubbles, flip the pancakes cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- 4. Serve with jam, peanut butter, nuts, vegan butter, syrup, and/or fresh fruit and enjoy!
- These pancakes can be made ahead of time and frozen to meal-prep for the week. Just wait until the pancakes cool completely and then place them into an airtight ziplock bag. Let them thaw briefly at room temperature and reheat using a microwave, oven or toaster oven.