If you’ve been following this blog for a while, then it’s probably no mystery that I’m a fan of Upton’s Naturals. In fact, you can check out a previous review I did on all their seitan varieties right on this blog. If you aren’t familiar with Upton’s Naturals, then I’ll give you a brief summary on their products. Upton’s makes a variety of vegan meats made out of seitan, that come in flavors including Chorizo, Italian, and even Bacon. Seitan is made out of wheat protein, so it’s high in protein but low in fat and you prepare it just like you would any traditional meats. Upton’s Naturals recently came out with a Chick Seitan, that I was really excited to try out. This one actually has chickpeas in the ingredients, and it definitely has a distinct flavor from the other seitan varieties. Inevitably, I came up with this Chick Seitan Salad recipe that’s super high in protein and made with ingredients you likely have on-hand already. All you need is the seitan and you’re basically good to go! Continue reading
Because of the chickpeas in the ingredients, I was inspired to make a vegan version of chicken salad. This one uses store-bought vegan mayo and it’s completely cholesterol free. I recommend using the original Just Mayo from Whole Foods, or you can go for Vegenaise or your other favorite plant-based mayo. I mixed the seitan and chickpeas with other ingredients I like such as carrots, tomato, celery, beets and bell pepper. I recommend adding some dried dill and other herbs such as parsley, along with lemon juice, freshly cracked pepper and sea salt for added flavor. You can eat it as-is or serve on top of a bed of lettuce, have with crackers, or enjoy inside a sandwich. It’s sure to not disappoint either way!
What I love about this salad is the pairing of the creamy dressing with the chewy and crunchy textures of seitan and veggies. I think it’s better when chilled for a couple of hours before serving, but that’s just me. Luckily it transports really well, according to my mom who took some to have for lunch at work. This would also be a delicious addition to your next picnic (it makes about twice as much as pictured FYI), to share with a friend or loved one. Let me know in the comments below…what would you have with this Chick Seitan Salad?
- 1 pack Upton’s Naturals Chik Seitan
- 2 Tbs Vegan Mayo
- Diced carrot, celery, cooked beets, tomato, red onion and pickles
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
- squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard
- Romaine lettuce, for serving (optional)
- 1. Remove the Chick Seitan from the package and tear/crumble into a small bowl. Cook the seitan by microwaving for about 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until warmed throughout. Set aside to cool, and meanwhile assemble the salad.
- 2. Drain, rinse and strain the chickpeas if using a canned variety, then mix with the diced vegetables. In a separate bowl, mix together the vegan mayo, dried dill, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and mustard. Add the cooled Chick Seitan to the chickpea and vegetable mixture, then add in the mayo mix and stir well.
- 3. After mixing everything, store in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Enjoy on top of a bed of romaine lettuce, have in a sandwich, or enjoy as a side to your favorite picnic foods.